Finally, the iPhone killer that I have been waiting for. That too, from the house of Blackberry That’s right. Blackberry[I was going to say RIM but then they have changed its name to BlackBerry] is back with a vengeance having unveiled BlackBerry 10 OS along with the Z10 and Q10 phones that will run it. The question returns: iPhone or Android or Windows Phone or ‘Blackberry‘ ? Here are some facts gathered together in one, handy place. If you need to know about BlackBerry 10, this is your station.
Two BlackBerry devices were revealed. Full touch Z10 and QWERTY-touch hybrid Q10.
- Z10: Powered by a dual-core 1.5GHz Krait processor it features a 4.2-inch touchscreen with 356ppi pixel density and 1280x768p resolution. It comes with 2GB RAM with 16GB onboard storage and support for expansion up to 32GB via microSD card. It boeasts of 8MP camera that can take 1080p videos, and a 2MP unit in the front.
- Q10: It is also powered by a dual-core 1.5GHz Krait processor, coupled with 2GB RAM. has a 3.1-inch SuperAMOLED touchscreen with 328ppi pixel density and 720x720p resolution as well as a Qwerty keyboard. The Q10 is the first BlackBerry 10 device with a QWERTY keyboard.
- The best part – No “home” or “back” buttons on the Z10. The platform negates it. That’s innovation
- The BlackBerry World Webstore has over 70,000 apps at launch, including Skype, Whatsapp, Kindle and Angry Birds.
- BlackBerry Flow offers a truly real-time, seamless multitasking without pausing/closing apps.
- Great for multi-taskers with easy access to important apps and features. Everything is seamlessly integrated.
- Apps like Facebook, Twitter have been completely integrated and all notifications from such applications go to the BlackBerry Hub, a nerve centre accessible with a finger swipe even if you have another application open. No other mobile platform available today does that!
- The BlackBerry10 virtual keyboard is unlike anything I have ever seen. You can type full sentences using just one thumb. It’s amazing
- BBM Screenshare allows you to share your device screen in real time. You can share documents, pictures, web pages and more.
- BlackBerry has introduced an app called Story Maker to aggregate content such as photos and videos into one stream allowing users to create mini movies and share them on social networks.
What I didn’t like:
- No Gorilla Glass
- Blackberry won’t be licensing the BlackBerry platform to OEMs.
- Apple, Android and Windows Phone all have consumer cloud solutions readily available for their platform, BlackBerry 10 doesn’t
- Updated BlackBerry World webstore but it still looks plain compared to Google play and Apple’s App Store
- No support for Youtube and Google Drive
So what if RIM is dead? It’s Blackberry now No doubt it’s excellent out of the box features hopefully will make Blackberry back in motion. This sure is a promising phone and brings a whole new level to the world of touch phones. Also its time for BlackBerry PlayBook owners to rejoice as BlackBerry said that it is working on an update to bring BlackBerry10 to the tablet. Ultimately, in terms of capabilities and features BlackBerry10 is generations ahead of Apple, Android and Windows Phone. There’s a chance you will see people switching back to Blackberries